This is a great recipe to get children engaged in the kitchen. We used to make the entire thing in the cake pan, sifting together all the dry ingredients first, then creating crater holes for each of the liquids. When the vinegar mixes with the baking soda, it does cool bubbly things.
This happens to be a vegan recipe (if you leave out milk chocolate chips), but that’s not because we’re vegan. In our family we cherish our dairy and meat as much as we do our veggies!
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°.
2. Mix together the following ingredients in a bowl with a whisk or spoon until the batter is smooth.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (the darker the better)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 T. white vinegar
3. Pour batter into greased 8″ or 9″ square or round pan. Can also make a dozen cupcakes.
4. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of chocolate chips on top of batter.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes (15-20 minutes for cupcakes) or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Served best warm with frosting, powdered sugar, whipped cream, ice cream and/or fruit such as strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.
This recipe is offered in total rebellion as part of Recipe Rites.
© Jennifer S. and harvestliberty.net, 2012.